Tuesday 13 November 2012

Final Reflection on Learning

ES 2007S is definitely one of the courses whereby I experienced the deepest learning curve. The peer teaching has been useful. I find topics such as how to write business letters effectively, how to convey good news and bad news, how to manage cultural conflicts and how to prepare for an interview particularly relevant and helpful.

Valuable though other aspects of the course are, I feel that I benefited most from the many opportunities that I have to speak and present to an audience in this class. These hands-on experiences has markedly improved my oral presentation skills and it is thus that I choose to reflect on this one area of communication skill in my final blog entry.

While my last presentation on Singapore’s birthrate was far from perfect and there are definitely areas that I can work on, I believe I have come a long way. I remember that in my very first dry run of my peer teaching on communication channel, Professor Jaidev and my fellow classmates commented that my demeanor was too relax, and sometimes it may come across as arrogance. This is an invaluable feedback as never would I worry about looking arroganct when in fact I am so stressed and nervous on stage.

I believe the fact that I look arrogant is primarily due to my informal tone of voice and my slouching posture. In my second peer teaching on Good News/ Bad News, I took note of that and was told that I have improved. Still, my presentation then was far from seasoned. I have always been a nervous speaker and my nervousness is reflected in my body language. My hand gestures were very loose and jerky, I fidgeted right from the beginning and I still slouched. Furthermore, I also tend to find comfort in the screen. In many occasions, I unintentionally, spoke to the screen rather than to the audience and in three occasions, namely when I did the exercise, shared the Boston College Rejection letter and explained the Cookery example, I read straight from the screen. The former is due to a lack of confidence and the latter due to the lack of consideration when making the PowerPoint.  I should have been more aware of how long the examples were and extracted only the main points.

In terms of delivery, I also had a lot of room for improvement. In my second peer teaching, I started speaking while I was still moving to the centre of the stage. In general, I could have had more eye contact with the audience and have eye contact with more of the audience (I tend to focus on the right hand side). Furthermore, I also slurred on some occasions, particularly when I felt like I was repeating or when I think the audience knew what I wanted to say. For example, I slurred while saying “then you carry on with your main idea…you can prepare for your orientation camp by” or while saying “…you can position the negative information in the middle of the body...so as to reduce the emphasis on it”. Not only did it sound unprofessional, it was also wrong to assume that the audience knew what you were saying.

In terms of inflections, my voice tended to be rather monotonous, although to my credit, I tried to sound more dynamic by using “oh”s (e.g. when I was saying “Oh, we only serve in specific locations such as…”.) Upon listening to my delivery on video, however, I felt that it was too informal.

Keeping in mind that I should only talk when I am in the centre of the stage and facing the audience, avoid reading from the screen, have bolder and more confident body gestures, my third presentation was a marked improvement from the last. I spoke only when I was ready, and my opening was also more impactful and a clearer transition from the last speaker in that it was able to induce a few laughter.

I was also much more confident in terms of body language. I did not slouch or fidget. My hand gestures were bigger and more definite. I was able to use my hands to emphasize statistics, (e.g. “over 50%...”). In addition, I made use of Professor Jaidev’s suggestion to use pauses and signposts when I say “Next, let us talk about gender differences”. I also had more tonal inflection and was able to stress on certain words.

However, I still lack in many areas. For example, I still spend too much at the screen and I still hadn’t broken the habit of speaking to the screen. While my eye contact with the audience improved as the presentation went on, I focus too much on the right side. When passing the time on to Bernice, I also kept my eyes on my group mates rather than the audience.

Last but not least, although I was quite fluent in general, I appeared a bit flustered when I explained how our survey consist mostly of dichotomous and check the box answers (4:45-4:53).

ES 2007S has been an invaluable course to me and I shall continue strive to become a better speaker.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you really learned a lot about the way you presented didn’t you? Wow, you even noticed the minor yet significant details in your presentation! I’m really impressed! Anyway, I too thought your signposting was much clearer in latest presentation that you delivered. It was appropriate, and very easy for us audience to follow. In addition, signposts actually help you capture the attention of audience, and they also let them know you’re in full control of your presentation. And that is great!

    Oh and by the way, I thought it’s alright to look at your group mates while passing the time to Bernice. It’s a form of acknowledgment don’t you think? I’m not exactly sure what’s the ‘right’ way though. Just my 2 cents worth.

    And I really think you’re already a very good speaker! You have a good command of English, and also a nice accent to go along with it. Just keep practicing, and you’ll probably do well in the presentations to come. Well keep it up!

    And last but not the least, I wish you all the best as you head back to HK! I’m sure we would all contact you if we were ever gonna go there for a trip or something. Ha! Cheers Ka Yan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ka Yan,

    It's amazing that you managed to take away many learning points throughout the course of this module - I think everyone did too!

    It's great that you are aware of the various improvements to make - that's the first step to being a great speaker and you're well on your way there :) Actually, I didn't catch many of the handicaps that you've mentioned, such as the slurring cause it wasn't obvious, but it's still good that you've noticed it :)

    To be honest though, I liked your presentation style, because you always manage to establish a rapport with your audience. Maybe the reason why you tend to be informal is because you're inherently a personal person (excuse the lack of vocabulary) - it's like you're talking to us on a one-to-one basis. Although it may be a little unsuitable in a professional setting like the workplace.

    Also, you manage to break down difficult concepts into something that is easy to digest, and I know this firsthand from our peer teaching discussions. That's an extremely valuable and rare skill in a presenter, and it's sad that it's understated.

    And actually I liked it when you brought us through the Boston Rejection letter, because it was humourous, and a good way to connect with the audience.

    To touch a bit on Clarence's point about passing the time on to your groupmates: I remember that you took the time to give Bernice a proper introduction, and that made it a good handover. I notice that many presenters actually rush through the handover by mumbling quickly and incoherently, because they're in a hurry to get out of the limelight, but that's just distracting. So you can keep to your style :)

    Frankly speaking, I learnt a lot from you, both within and without the classroom. I'm glad I had a chance to know you not only as "my classmate from Professional Communications", but as a good friend. Keep in touch okay! I hope you have a safe trip back to Hong Kong :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ka Yan.

    First of all I would like to thank you and Kirstie. You were my first group mates in this module. I was quite unsure how it would turn out but had a great time working with you. In fact I was quite disappointed when we were asked to form a different group for the proposal. However I was yet again lucky to get another great team :)

    You seem to have noticed a lot, even minute things that usually people tend to overlook. Acknowledging once own mistake is a giant leap towards betterment and you are on the right path. However in general I feel you are a very good speaker but may be just that your tone might be a bit casual that may not be quite suitable for the workplace but otherwise you seem to convey what you intend to the audience quite well, which is one of the qualities I admire about you. I still remember one of the concepts in the dry run was really hard for me to understand and you just made the concept really look easy when you explained to the class.

    In all it was a pleasant experience to work with you. I wish you all success in the future. Do keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete