Saturday 15 September 2012

Cover Letter to Oliver Wyman


Dear Human Resources Manager,
Re: Application for Entry-Level Consultants, Financial Services Management Consulting

Though I am now on exchange and am unable to attend the career events you hold at my university, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, I am nevertheless overjoyed to know that you are recruiting. I I would greatly appreciate it if you would allow me the opportunity to convince you why I am the candidate you seek.

Oliver Wyman Financial Services Management Consulting helps today’s enterprises to meet challenges in areas ranging from investment banking to asset management. Today, where business landscape changes constantly, it is essential to keep an inquisitive mind, to never take assumptions for granted and to always be eager to learn. I understood this at a very young age and now as a fresh graduate, even more so. When I was young, I was dubbed the name “problematic girl” not because I had issues, but because I always question why (in Cantonese, “problems” means issues as well as questions). In high school, I was called “abnormal” affectionately by my chemistry teacher because I ask the most unconventional questions and because of my “abnormally high grades.” In addition to be being inquisitive, I am also a shrewd observer and a quick learner. I understand that it is naïve to expect information be spoon-fed to you and hence, I always try to learn by observation. I enjoy challenging myself and had once done a year-worth of French in two months.

To this day, I continue to explore my limits. In university, I step out of my comfort zone and take courses that I have not an inkling of, for example, Human Prehistory and Western Civilization. I also enrolled in Ceramics, in which I received an A, when my sister calls stick figures my highest achievement in art. To further my knowledge, I also took courses outside of my discipline. To illustrate, I self-studied numerous mathematics courses such as Regression Analysis, Time Series Analysis, Probability, Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra etc. on top of my normal 19 credits course load and my position as the Internal Secretary of Kendo Club. My trials and errors in university allowed me to mature and learn that passion and hard work is not enough. Time and energy is simply limited; one must know oneself to achieve most. However, I was fortunate that these courses had been worth it. They honed my ability to approach problems critically, analytically and most important of all, creatively.  These, I believe, will be important assets if I were to offer business solutions to corporations.

Lastly, the ability to multitask and to adapt is also highly priced in today’s dynamic workplace. In my high school days, I was able to maintain a high academic standing, scoring 8A*s and 1 B for my IGCSE diploma and a 42 for my IB predicted grade (highest grade achievable excluding bonus points), while holding my position as the chairperson of the yearbook committee, vice president of the fair-trade committee and a member of the Model United Nation, the debate team and the prefects.  Apart from being adaptive across tasks, I am also adaptive across geographic regions. In 5 years, I went from living in Hong Kong for all my life, to living in New Zealand, then back to Hong Kong (where I was included in the Dean List for three consecutive semesters) then to United States for exchange (where I earned a CGA of 4.0 out of 4.0), then subsequently now here in Singapore. Apart from helping me discover my love for travel, my international exposure and my education in international school has also equipped me with cultural fluency and strong interpersonal and communication skills. These will prove vital in a diverse environment such as Oliver Wyman.

Although I know little of Oliver Wyman, the little that I do know impresses me. Oliver Wyman respects its people, to the point where you tell your failed applicants how they could improve. You support employee networks such as Racial and Ethnic Diversity Network (Mercer) and GLOW (Gays and Lesbians at Oliver Wyman).

Knowledge, one can learn. Character, however, is as fundamental as someone’s identity. I take my responsibilities seriously and believe that one misstep could potentially have a domino effect so huge that it’s irreparable. Character is what I look for in a corporation and I hope this is what you will find in me if you grant me an interview.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Yours faithfully,
Chan, Ka Yan

4 comments:

  1. WOW, an impressive application letter to say the least! I have been reading many application letters from our classmates and yours stands out the most.

    Firstly you have a very impressive academic track record, one that i would believe many would go green with envy for; me included.

    Secondly , your application letter is phrased very strategically , putting equal emphasis on the organisation and on yourself. Due research on the organisation was done and you highlighted why you deserve to be there.

    While it is impressive, i'm not sure if it is in the right format. Your application letter is a little lengthy .

    Though it may fail the concise criteria, i believe if the employers took the time to read your resume, they would be as impressed as i was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayan,

    In my opinion, I felt that you have tailored your achievements in your studies and non-academic achievements to the job's requirements.

    However, I think it is very lengthy. For example, I felt like you were beating around the bush when you mentioned that "Knowledge, one can learn. Character, however, is as fundamental as someone’s identity ", how your sister feels about your art, how you were dubbed the "problematic girl", etc. Such sentences make your application letter seems to very narrative and descriptive. Maybe it is just me, but these description made your tone quite informal.

    A good guide would be to keep your application letter to one single page.

    Although your letter is not concise, it is definitely very entertaining to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, you're awesome! That's why the application letter says about you and it's truly a job well done.

    I like how you slowly lead your readers into your qualifications by starting with a compelling life story (and I'm sure your future employers will like it too). I like it too that you give a short description of what your company does, but in my opinion you could have improved on that by adding how you're the perfect fit for the organization and how you can contribute to it.

    In a nutshell, it's really a job well done! All the best for your job hunt (if you even need to do that, instead of being hunted) in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ka, I thought that was a really solid cover letter, slightly lengthy but solid.

    I was wondering if you managed to secure a job with OV? I ask because I am currently applying to the firm at the moment.

    Good Job Ka

    ReplyDelete